Need a Job in Darwin--
read this and let us know if you have any questions.
I have attached a file called National
Harvest Guide 2011 in here on page 37 you will find a brief info on
Darwin and our fruits.
We recomend you contact Ready
Workforce to let them know your keen for a job. They are pretty quick at
pairing you up with available solutions. There contact details are:
Harvest labour assistance
Level 1 / 49 Woods Street
Darwin NT 0800
08 8923 9222
you are intending to do the farm work to extend your visa remember there
is also jobs in the fishing industry (easy to get- hard work - good
Cht with your visa advisor about
other jobs that fill the catagory as all of NT is considered rural for
the zoneing of visa's- check out the visa page-
The work types that make you eligible for the visa extension are many a list below with some info on getting the jobs...-
Definition of specified work
Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:
- plant and animal cultivation (Call harvest trail or go join -Ready Workforce ) Working on any nursery is also counted.
- cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
- general maintenance crop work
- harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
- immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning
Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
- immediate processing of plant products
- maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
- manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
- pruning and trimming vines and trees.
- fishing and pearling - (the best company for pearls is Paspaley Peals
you can ring them for a application for general pearl farming hand -
they use a lot of backpackers for staff and offer the best accomadations
and wages while at work, if your in Darwin you can wander in to there
head office at the top end of the mall. Flying in and out of some
gorgeous places.// If you want to be a fisherman well just book in and
we will point you down to fishermens wharfe where you wander down and
put your name on a list, really easy to land a job.
- tree farming and felling
- felling trees in a plantation or forest
- planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
- transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a
plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or
processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where
they are to be milled or processed.
- mining -- there
are always people looking to hire people with expierence in the mining
industry , in saying that you never know your luck- pay is great chat
with an agency for a list of jobs on offer check out http://www.miningjob.net/jobs.nsf/JobsByQuery?openform&a=Darwin before you arrive in Darwin
- coal mining (we dont coal mine in NT)
- oil and gas extraction
- metal ore mining
- non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
- exploration and other mining support services not including secondary activities such as book-keeping, catering and transport.
- construction -- If
you want to build wander to the nearest building site and ask to speak
to the foreman. Be armed with a single page resume with your current
backpackers on it and your phone number , not the hostels.
- building construction
- heavy and civil engineering construction
- construction services including metal wall cladding fixing to
buildings, petrol bowser installation, sand blasting or steam cleaning
of building exteriors, scaffolding construction, waterproofing of
of the best ways to find a job in Darwin is by door knocking. It
shows that you are keen and really willing to work. Wear presentable
clothing and take a one page introductory resume- throw a pic in the
corner for them to remember you. Because of Darwin’s laid back life
style, it is very
acceptable to wear a nice shirt, nice pair of jeans or shorts and a
smart pair of shoes when door knocking the local area. Try all the bars,
clubs and restaurants in the city area. They are always looking for
staff. Remember be confident and really show you are willing to work.
An excellent way to find a job is by looking in the local newspaper the
NT News. Check the newspaper everyday but the days that has the most job
placements are on Wednesday and Saturday. Saturdays NT News has about
20-30 pages full of jobs. That is not bad for a town with a population
of 100 000.
For tradesmen or people looking for laboring work. Catch a bus out to
Winnallie (we will point you to the bus stop and give you a timetable but here it is if your very fussy (
. It is about a 10 minute drive from the city. This is the
industrial area of Darwin. There are thousands of businesses out here
and they are always looking for labours.
Also check out the notice boards at all the backpackers and internet
cafes. Often people will advertise for workers on these boards. Although
it is high illegal, from time to time people will advertise cash in
hand work on these boards. Mainly for labours, topless barmaids or when
there is a big sporting or social event on in town. Usually this sort of
work is for a day or two. Don’t come to Darwin or Australia thinking
you will pick up a lot of cash in hand work because it is just not
available on a regular basis. But there is alot of great work availiable with normal pay
Flick thru the
for some cold calling for jobs.
I hope that helps, see you soon Frogs -Crew